Thursday, August 26, 2010

Stream of Consciousness: Word, Body, and Politics

TODAY, MY FRIENDS, IS A FABULOUS DAY.


Not only is it Women's Equality Day (which I will post on later), but I have also been accepted into Goddard College as a candidate for a M.A. in Individualized Studies w/ a concentration in Transformative Language Arts!!! Things are IN MOTION and it feels awesome.

In that vein, this blog post is going to have a little bit more to do with my ambitions and my writing side. A little while ago, my friend Jess mentioned she was looking for people to write guest posts at her blog, Mal-diction: the literary bitching and moaning of an English graduate student, and so, I offered myself up since I used to be an English - Writing option major at my undergraduate college and still have strong ties to literature. However, I did it with a twist - while it's easy, with my background, to still snipe about grammar, syntax, and imagery - I wanted to share my newfound love of the intricacies and impact words have upon our lives with an audience who might appreciate them but not be aware of them. In short, I chose to write about what I used to call: "Creative Writing and Social Change," and what Goddard eloquently rewords as "Transformative Language Arts."

The post, entitled "Stream of Consciousness: Word, Body, and Politics" can be seen here at Mal-diction, but here's a teaser:

"While I was always aware of the importance of the subject I would eventually declare my major, it only came into my consciousness slowly. Step one: being a English-writing option major with a long, devoted history to creative writing. Step two: being immersed in grays. Step three: taking "ENGL 267 PERSUASIVE WRITING" and choosing to research and argue "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey as a valid work of creative non-fiction that should not be disregarded due to fact changing. Beginning to study the impacts of trauma upon memory recall, and thus, memoir writing. Step four: declaring a psychology minor. Step five: working on my final research project for my "ENGL 417 RISE OF RAUNCH" class wherein I studied sexually-charged words attributed to and reflective of female behavior such as "bitch," "slut," cunt," "whore," etc. and how women could use them as a positive empowering source. Discovering how the word "cunt," for example, used to be used as a title of respect for women in Ancient Egypt - and how one girl took her experience being gang-raped and called a "slut" to liberate herself sexually.

Step underlying all of this: beginning to validate the sexual, emotional, and physical abuse I had endured as a child. And analyzing the way it impacted by body, my language use, and my perceptions of all of these.
"

I hope you head on over there to read it!

In the meantime, some other fun English-related tidbits:


I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



I found out I evidently write like David Foster Wallace (by entering in my guest blog post from Mal-Diction), who according to Wikipedia, has been heralded as "one of the most influential and innovative writers of the last 20 years." This clearly means when I get around to publishing a book, I'm going to revolutionize the world as we know it. :P Or at least for a little while.

I've also, this morning, adopted a word at SavetheWords.org, a website designed by the people behind the Oxford English Dictionaries who are eager to keep older words in circulation so that they don't die out.

In case you are curious I have adopted (and am thus attempting to bring back into circulation):

1. tortiloquy: (n.) dishonest or immoral speech
2. essomenic: (adj.) showing things as they will be in the future
3. omniregency: (n.) state of complete authority
4. resarciate: (v.) to make amends

Words are so fabulous. I hope you join in on the mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment